Monday, March 18, 2013

There's an app for that


I was browsing the App Store on my iPhone when I came across a new app. Intrigued, I clicked on the little blue cube with the white Q. It was then that I finally was introduced to Quizlet.
Quizlet was originally launched in 2007. Andrew Sutherland, a high school student, needed a new way to memorize vocabulary from his French class, and thus, Quizlet was born. Sutherland was fifteen when he wrote the code making personalized electronic flashcards. Quizlet has grown to include various games and a wide variety of topics students are able to study. They have gone from being used solely on a computer to being available on many mobile devices.
You don’t need an account to start using Quizlet. You can get the app for free on either Apple or Android. For ten to fifteen dollars (per year) you can acquire Quizlet Plus, which allows the user to customize flashcards with images. I've just started using Quizlet for SAT words, with the game Scatter (much like the game of Memory). And yes, it is helping me learn my words and keep them in my head. The game times you and every time you play it, you want to beat your previous time. Or maybe that’s just me.
Something you are doing, anything really can make a huge impact. Maybe you teach an after school art class that could be the very reason one of your students still has hope for the future. Another of those students could grow up and have his art displayed in Milan. By releasing Quizlet to the public, Sutherland has indirectly aided many a student who are at a loss when it comes to studying. Don’t underestimate what a great impact a small, maybe personal, accomplishment can have on others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment