Sunday, June 9, 2013

Study abroad? I think yes

Back in the fall, I went abroad in Spain. From landing in Madrid one cool day in September to coming back home two days before Christmas, my whole perspective of life changed. Going abroad taught me motivation to pursue my goals and the responsibilities that come with independence. Basically, if you ever get the chance to go abroad, go for it. It really is one of the best experiences you will have in your life.

We were rolling through the countryside, just outside of Madrid. In a bright orange European car sat my cousin, my suitcases, and me. Ahead of us lay the mountains, a couple of little pueblos and suburbs scattered throughout the outskirts of the city falling behind. I was quiet, not sure of what to say. My brain was sluggish, moving along in shock. I just flew into Spain on my own, not to return home for four months.
After picking me up from the airport, my cousin brought me to her apartment to eat and pack her own bags. She was going to her mother’s house for a little vacation. On the way there she would be dropping me off in Salamanca, where I would be living with a host family. My cousin asked how my family was back in the States and how great it was that we were finally meeting in person. I understood most of what she said, but had trouble speaking.
After leaving her apartment, she asked if she could practice her English with me. In her field of work, there is a growing need for English-speakers. As we left Madrid, she began to speak in English, and I continued to speak in Spanish. At some point I feel asleep, and after a cat nap was awake and in zombie mode again.
Two hours later, I was fully awake and full of anticipation. We were trying to find the street where my host family was waiting. I was looking out of the window, craning my neck to see what surrounded me. After driving across the bare, flat terrain that lays between cities in Spain, this new city captivated me with a swift energy. We went into huge roundabout, cars flying past, all of them small mechanical bullets compared to the typical American car.

Eventually we found the building where my host family stood waiting. I was greeted by the father and his two daughters, and later, by the mother and her two sons. I bid farewell to my cousin, and hello to a city I would soon be calling home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment