Friday, June 14, 2013

From Dreams to Reality

The school year is coming to a close, and the long anticipated summer holidays nearly a reality. Last night, the seniors from my school graduated. Not only do they get to escape into vacation sooner than all the underclassmen, but they are also on the path to pursue their passions. I have good friends that crossed the stage and earned their diplomas, and their futures are certainly bright.
Zooming out to an even bigger picture—the journey after high school. For most kids, it is pursuing a college degree. For others, it’s their time to step right into the world of work. If you read my earlier post comparing Gollum to college, my plan is to attend college (by the way, I have narrowed down my list of colleges to eight). While researching colleges, there was much angst, but I survived, like everyone else has or will. Watching where the seniors are taking their futures has helped me with where I would hope to apply this fall.
One of my friends is crossing the country to Los Angeles, pursuing a degree in the performing arts. She’s moving over there in the summer with her mother. She taught me that when I go through my list of colleges, I shouldn’t limit myself. Apply to a school on the other side of the country? Go for it, especially if there’s a school that you really want to go to. Don’t let anything hold you back. Be a Slytherin, but the good kind: ambitious and motivated to do good things.
Another friend is heading over to New York, studying theatre and education. She really is a people person, and definitely a performer. I know she will achieve her goals. She taught me that while going far can be fun, staying closer to home is not bad at all (even though she is going pretty far). She also gave some of the best advice on life in general.
If I talked about everyone and where their futures are headed, you might as well sit down to read a little novella. In a nutshell, I’ve learned that applying to college is fun, although the stress that goes along with the application process is overwhelming at times. If you know what you want to study, look at all the schools offering what you want. Who knows, maybe you’ll end studying in a city with a vibe you never knew existed and love it. As for limits, you decide those on your own. If you have a dream, pursue it.


On a side note, I will hopefully be posting more often. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment