Thursday, May 23, 2013

Why Write?

I shall begin this post in the most amateurish way possible: with a question. Why are you reading this? More specifically, why is this blog in existence? It’s because I love writing, right? Well, yes and no. I have been writing since I can remember, starting with stories about two long-lost twin fairies going by the names of Eliza and Elizabeth. Despite having been stationed in Italy at the time, the stories were indeed in English. That being beside the point, this blog is in existence due to a couple of factors: I wanted to challenge myself and inflamed spinal tissue.
Back in February, I woke up incredibly sore. The night before, I had gone to a very demanding ballet class. My first mistake: I did not bring water. For that reason I was sore. My second mistake: doing a bridge right when I awoke, sore and without warming up beforehand, my spine cracking louder than is normal. And then I had a big panic attack and long story short, the doctor banished me from attending ballet for nearly a month. There were bumps on my spine, and even walking was painful at times. Keep in mind that ballet is my outlet, and has been for the past twelve years. Taking that away was mind boggling.
This brings me to the whole “why write?” bit. Every writer, even non-writers, has a reason for putting words on paper, or in this case, on the internet. For some, it’s their chance to have a voice and be heard. For others, an escape. I fall into both of these categories, more or less. More prominently, I write because when my world was falling apart, starting this blog and beginning to work on my book again gave me new meaning. It’s kind of hard to explain. I was stuck in a rut and found my way out when I began pour all of my energy into writing. And then I entered the world of blogging, and reached out to write about all kinds of things.

But enough of my frou frou story. Why do you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment